When Aurora doesn’t take a nap, her “spirited nature” is multiplied by some huge factor. She is more demanding and even more unwilling to accept the answer “no.” She has stopped napping at daycare, because there is too much going on and she doesn’t want to miss anything. I thought that the weekend would be better, but she has been upstairs for a hours now and not falling asleep. Her eyes are droopy and she looks exhausted and I don’t really want to give up yet and deal with an overtired preschooler for the next 4 hours. During her “naptime” she has been playing with water in the bathroom sink, taking Band-Aids out of the closet, and stealing her sister’s perfumed body lotion. A while after being returned to her room she was quiet so I went up to check on her and she had put her pillow in the bottom of her laundry basket and was curled up on it. Awake, of course. If she doesn’t fall asleep soon (like, within 30 minutes), it will be too close to bedtime for me to want her to take a nap.
I suppose I should just be grateful that she hasn't yet climbed over the gate and come downstairs.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Saturday, September 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Maybe if she can't sleep she isn't sleepy...
Pretty sure I never took naps. Well, my mum could be lying but I believe her. She told me that she had to pretend that she had "found God" in order to wrangle a couple of hours a week to go to church leaving me with my dad. She slept through the service naturally.
I remember my little sisters being put down for their naps, and the times when it slowly became obvious that they were no longer likely to sleep. Naptime just became 'put the toddler in her bedroom and shut the door' time. As long as she knew she was supposed to be sleeping, quietness would prevail. But you're right, of course, about quietness not always being a good thing in the case of tiny ones...
Oh, she's sleepy all right. She can barely keep her eyes open.
The ending of this story is that she fell asleep soon after I finished writing at about 3:15. We don't want her to sleep past 4 because she will be up until 10, so we were forced to break the commandment "Thou shalt not wake a sleeping preschooler." It wasn't a long enough nap and she was still screechy the rest of the evening.
I thought a quiet house meant that someone, somewhere, was up to something they shouldn't.
Like papermache?
EXACTLY like paper mache!
Post a Comment