Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Attitude

Once on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Mary was blue because of how humdrum her life seemed. Ted Baxter tells her he can help. In a slow, tired voice he says, "Mary, here's what you do. You get up. Eat breakfast. Go to work. Come home. Have dinner. Go to bed.” She nods tearfully, and Ted continues in a bright and animated voice, “What you should do is: GE-ET UP! EAT BREAKFAST!! GO TO WORK!!! COME HOME!!!! EAT DINNER!!!!! GO TO BED!!!!!!" Mary realizes that “It’s all in how you look at it.”

Tra la la. Life lessons from sitcoms… but still. How you look at something does make a difference. Aurora is able to find joy in almost anything. “YAY! I’m taking a bath!” She clicks a mouse on Clifford the Big Red Dog, and it’s “YAY! I did it!” She can keep it up all day, from “WOW! I finished my yogurt!” in the morning to “I got my own toothpaste!” at night. Yes, everything she says has exclamation points at the end.

On the other hand, I can have trouble finding that joy in the little things. Lately, I have had trouble finding it in the big things. I am realizing that even if circumstances don’t change, I really want my outlook to change because I am tired of being stressed because other people are short-sighted, selfish, clueless, etc. I hope I can do it without all the exclamation points.

4 comments:

Jess said...

*giggles* Aurora is so funny.

Is there any chance of circumstances changing soon? Or is this how it always is during the school year? Being peppy is one thing, but don't bottle off all the bad emotions either.

Why does everything always end up being about balance?

Emano said...

I doubt circumstances will change; and it is not always this bad during the school year. It is not this bad even just at the beginning with the transition, although that doesn't help. Basically, scheduling changes at the high school are making things difficult for the teachers. My supervisor, also a teacher, doesn't hear any of my concerns and at the same time is able solve her problems at my expense.

La Tulipe said...

It is only because you are tired, my heart. Life has its ups and downs. And when we are tired, it seems as though all the downs land on our shoulders. And suddenly EVERYTHING seems to heavy.

...dost thou have a teachers' union?

Emano said...

"It is only because you are tired"
Actually, it is a cause of my being tired. Aside from the obvious needing to get up earlier and increased activity that accompany the start of every school year, this is the first time I have lost sleep over work.

I have worked with a student who bit my leg so hard through denim that my entire calf was bruised. I worked in school where I needed to have restraint training to be allowed to be with students. I have worked with kids who were psychotic and refusing their meds. But never before did I wake up in the middle of the night and start thinking about work and be unable to stop.

I believe things are improving, or at least will improve, with my mental state. I am ready to just be left alone to deal with the stupidity.