One of the advantages of a blog is that I can be boring in talking about my kids as much as I want. I will be taking advantage of this today.
We have a sign on our wall with a quote from Proverbs: "A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?" To me, this is reassuring when things happen in life that I don't understand, but I admit that I haven't thought of it beyond that.
Last night Josh, who is 8, looked at it and said, "That's not true." I asked him what he meant and he said, "God only directs us if we want him to; we make choices."
Every time I am hit with how differently his mind works than mine I am amazed. Not so much the conclusion, but that he thought about it at all. I know I wasn't contemplating free will at 8; I was more on the level of who I didn't want to sit next to in school.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Monday, September 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Wise son. He is nearly ready to debate Fate with Rian.
Hmm. It depends though. He sees that every day. Perhaps he's read it before and it's got into his brain and niggled, and then he just worked out what it was about it that was wrong to him.
I don't think age has anything to do with logical reasoning ability. And if anything, having certainty of opinion is much more natural when you're a child.
When I was 8 I think I asked 'why?' constantly. Why is a tree called a tree? Why why why? To everything. If I'd been my mother I would have been most unimpressed...
Post a Comment