Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Loose Ends

I'm concerend about your Perpetual Prayer Shawl. I feel you are discriminating against it, not giving it enough of your woolly-time. Is it to remain "now playing" in perpetuity?

It's interesting that you should mention that, myo, because I have been thinking the same thing. I have started to feel sad about watching its neglected progress bar stay unchaged while other ones come and go. It's just that it is so big and takes so long, and the other things are quicker and I can actually see progress and finish them. I have been thinking that I really need to finish the poor thing-- ironically enough, partly because I want to start the next one. I want to see a different color and get to do a different stitch pattern.

I'm having the same issue with Child of Flame, Book 3 (or 4?) in the Crown of Stars series. I have had it out of the library for about 7 weeks now and I'm not halfway through it yet. However, I have started and finished one other book during that time, have two others started, and got two more out of the library today. I don't know what's happening to me-- I usually practice literary monogomy. I need to start finishing things.

4 comments:

skittledog said...

Have my sympathy on the book front: In The Ruins is currently doing my head in. I've forgotten who all the characters are...and I've been stuck in the middle of another one for a week now. I think I blame this 'tv' thing.

Poor prayer shawl. But then I suppose I never looked for progress in its perpetuity...but we must have a photo of it when 'tis done.

La Tulipe said...

Rian ALWAYS practices literary monogamy.

Tis a matter of pride.

daisy said...

I'm almost halfway through The Gathering Storm about a month after I started.

I think I blame this 'tv' thing.
Yeah - while I wasn't reading my book, I was watching all five seasons of Angel in just over three weeks. :/

myo said...

I don't know what's happening to me-- I usually practice literary monogomy. I need to start finishing things.

Myo was once a monogamist too.
And if i started a book, i always finished it.
Not any more.
Maybe it's something to do with *coughs delicately* ... getting older.
Less time, more commitments, less single-minded focus on one thing ... or perhaps simply more choice: the luxury of access to a bigger variety of the Good Things of Life.

With books these days, i find it a lot easier to start reading a standalone book. I'm reluctant to start reading an unfinished series as i know i will have forgetten too much of the detail by the time the next book is available.
And (even worse) i now find that series i have been avidly collecting that are now sitting complete on my shelves, i have this reluctance to commit all my reading time to the multiple books (a bit like the perpetual prayer shawl, i fear).
And nowadys i even find with a standalone book, if i've put it aside for too long when it's partly read, i have this reluctance to continue reading it -- even if i was greatly enjoying it -- because i would really need to go back and reread the first section to get back into the story.