Hey-- a parenting story NOT about Aurora!
Last night when my 8 year-old son asked for help with his multiplication, it was clear pretty quickly that he wasn't getting how to do it. The problems had two-digits on the bottom, and he was trying to multiply them across somehow without adding. He refused to believe me when I told him that he was doing it wrong and tried to show him the right way. He tearfully insisted that there was nothing to do with writing down a zero and told me that I thought he was stupid because he didn't know how to do it. Eventually he let me walk him through one problem, and when he checked my work on the calculator he silently and sullenly pulled his paper toward him to erase the wrong work.
The good part of the story happened today when I picked him up from school. He was barely out the door when he said, "Mom, you were doing it the right way. I'm sorry I doubted you." Stunning! I fear that by the time 5 years pass he will not admit anything like that to me again, so I am reveling in it while I can.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
That made me smile. Nice story :)
Yeah, same.
I'm very surprised he admitted you were right. It seems so odd (but good) for a child to say that.
Aw. He sounds like a great kid, M&O. :)
What he said was is indeed wonderful, emano.
A very good ego boost. ... Now where have i seen that phrase recently?
I was amused by the way he checked your work on a calculator.
I suppose i'm showing my age if i say i still feel more comfortable using a pen and paper to check a calculation?
And on an entirely different topic ... i'm concerend about your Perpetual Prayer Shawl. I feel you are discriminating against it, not giving it enough of your woolly-time. Is it to remain "now playing" in perpetuity?
Post a Comment