We used to have a perfectly... serviceable... dining table. It was bought at a Mart-type store before I had even heard of the Wal variety of Marts for under $150 including 4 chairs. We've gone through a few sets of chairs in the 13 or so years since it was purchased, and the table itself was getting pretty wobbly.
Recently someone called us and told us they were having a new dining room table delivered and asked us if we would like the old one-- which is about 8 feet long and well-made of real wood. Well, the old table was wood, too-- I guess I need to focus on the well-made part. It is sturdy, and it is a gorgeous dark color that actually needs to be polished and not just wiped with a damp cloth.
I notice that I am different now. I don't want anyone to write on only one sheet of paper between their ballpoint pen and the table, and I've begun wondering where I can find a clear vinyl tablecloth to protect it. Aurora tried bringing me down to earth by writing on it with permanent marker on the second day we had it, but I foiled that attempt and am now more vigilant. I hope I can relax about it someday.
It makes me think that our decision not to replace the sofa until Aurora is in junior high was a good one.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Ye need a table pad.
Rian thoroughly dislikes them. But they do, admittedly, protect the wood. So Rian pretends not to see the one on our dining room table and removes it when Keppets visit.
Heh, I am glad Aurora is so concerned about you that she would help you out with permanent markers.
Someone I know bought a big plastic table cloth for their lovely table. First I thought it was hideous, now I rather like the big fake flowers on it. The cloth comes off when the kids head to bed.
And no, I didn't find you, someone took mercy on me and told me where you were hiding.
Post a Comment