The other day at school we learned that a woman who used to work in our school district until 2001 had gone out jogging the day before and hadn't been seen since. Later that night it was reported on national news that her body had been found in the shed on the property of the actor who plays Big Bird, and that his caretaker had been arrested. I only knew her by name, but I know several people who knew her, and it's the closest I've ever come to knowing someone who was murdered.
It seemed a shame, but distant, until the next time I went to take my dog for a walk. I realized that the cemetery where I usually go is secluded, and suddenly the seclusion didn't feel like a good thing. Then I began to think about how predictable I am-- every day between 3 and 4 I leave the house to walk the dog and am gone for 30 minutes. As silly as it may sound, I've started to go on a different (less isolated) route.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Friday, December 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I don't think it sounds silly at all to change your route sometimes. Once something dreadful has happened in the vicinity, you'd have to be made of stone to not consider your own security.
And oddly I feel quite relieved that they arrested Big Bird's care taker, rather than Big Bird himself.
Rian was thinking the same thing, yes, although afraid to say it.
Having a very regular schedule isn't good for your mind anyhow. Change is stimulating, keeps the neurons healthy.
Post a Comment