Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Sunday, July 23, 2006

What I tell others, but don't believe myself:

Mistakes are OK.

I tell this to my children, and I tell this to my students. But I noticed that much of my time is spent trying to avoid making mistakes-- mistakes that don't even really matter. I carefully research any purchase over $50 to make sure it is THE right one (as if there is only one correct photo scanner); I hesitate to knit toe-up socks because I don't want to make a mistake and do it over; I am overly careful playing Minesweeper-- I guess because there is so much time invested in each game, and I know I'll never get those 23 seconds back again.

2 comments:

myo said...

I read this article not long ago that talked about people having too many choices these days. Once the number of choices of action extend beyond a certain number, then this is what causes so much stress.

I can remember once ... in the dimly-remembered past ... carefully researching each and every purchase i made.

Sometimes, this resulted in the perfect myo purchase. Other times, a big mistake.

Nowadays, if i can be bothered at all, i'll just do some cursory research. The biggest delay is wondering if i want to do anything at all (which now i think about it, fits right in with your "not wanting to make a mistake" comments, emano!).

As to minesweeper ... i was really surprised to find out you weren't completing it. Do you use the double click technique? That technique opens up the field without causings any explosions.

From the minesweeper help file:

If you have marked all the mines around a numbered square, you can uncover the remaining squares around it by clicking the numbered square with the left and right mouse buttons simultaneously. If not all mines surrounding the numbered square have been marked, the remaining covered or unmarked squares will appear to be depressed (or flash) when the numbered square is clicked with both buttons simultaneously.

Emano said...

Yes, I do that, but there comes a point when the "easy" bombs have been found and I have to choose which of the squares that 2 is touching should be marked pretty much randomly.