Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Motels and a Mystery

Mystery of Life Answered: Yesterday at a waterpark, I saw a 60-something woman with a bikini top that displayed the tattoo she got over her left breast while she was sowing her wild oats in the 1960s. I've always wondered and now I know: sagging tattoos look bad.

We spent our time on Cape Cod a few weeks ago at a motel, let's call it The White Knight. (I'm pretty sure there are no real motels on the Cape with that name; if so, it is purely a coincidence because I am trying to protect the not-so-innocent. Or maybe it's not a coincidence, it's fate-- but I digress...).

"White Knight" story #1

When calling to make reservations, we were told that the White Knight's policy is that there be no more than 4 people to a room. For those of you without a scorecard, my husband and I have 3 kids: Two adults + three children= >4. They would not let us reserve a room until we told them that my parents (who were staying at the same motel) would take one of the kids so that we would only have 4 in the room. They verified that my parents would actually be staying there at the same time before they allowed us to pay them our money for a room.

Upon arrival, one parks in front of the office to check in and get a key. Mr. Midnight went in while we waited in the car.
Desk Dude: (brightly) Welcome to the Cape! (looking at car outside, then at computer, sounding sad) Aw, I see you have children, and your reservation is for 2 adults...
Mr. Midnight: (bitterly) It most assuredly was not. We went round and round about the children because I had to promise one of them would sleep in another room with my in-laws!
Desk Dude:(subdued) Here's your key. Number 19.

I kept saying, "It most assuredly was not!" all weekend.

"White Knight" story #2
My parents were actually at a different motel for part of the time they spent there. My dad went in the morning they checked out of the first place to see how long they'd have to wander around like vagabonds with all their worldly goods in the car.

M&O's Papa enters the White Knight office. He sees a young woman sitting in the corner with "White Knight" emblazoned on her shirt.

Papa:
Excuse me, what time is check-in?
Woman:
Papa: Excuse me, when can I check in?
Woman: (startled) Oh, I don't work here.
Papa: I saw the "White Knight" on your shirt, so I thought you did.
Woman: (looks down at shirt) Oh, I do work here. But I don't work behind the desk. They guy who works the desk stepped out, and I'm just sitting here.
Papa: And that's all you're doing isn't it? Just sitting there.
Woman: (not getting the sarcasm) Yes, it is.

"White Knight" story #3
Before he was able to check in, my dad went to pay Brother Black Sheep's bill. A few hours later, when he was able to check in, the woman in the office (one who really worked there, apparently) recognized him. Sort of. She knew she had seen him before, and associated him with a stay of a few days. She claimed he had been staying there for 3 days, despite the fact that he was there to check in. I wish I knew some of the witty repartee that was bandied about so that I could reproduce it here for your enjoyment, but alas, I do not.

Next year, we will be staying somewhere else.

6 comments:

Ata said...

Heheheh. Are you sure you had not accidentally wandered across continents and into Fawlty Towers?

Skywolf said...

Heh. Sounds like it.

That next year place looks very nice. Mmm, Cape Cod. I miss it.

La Tulipe said...

We can only hope the back of Rian's neck does not succomb to gravity, yes?

myo said...

I see i don't need to make any snide comments about Certain People with tattoos.

So i won't.

H said...

Aha, Rian finally publically admits the location of her tattoo... unless there are others?

Surely Aurora does not count as a child. Is she not a changelying? A mischeivious elf or fairy or other trouble-making sprite?

Emano said...

We tried to tell them that, but they would hear none of it.