Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Grrrr

I'm trying not to make this blog into "Emano Knits 24/7"-- this is knitting related but it can be seen as having a philosophical edge. Or something.

I put off attempting socks because I was a little afraid of learning double-pointed needles. Then I read this quote:

I was surprised to discover that there are timid knitters, knitters that are afraid to do lace, afraid to do cables, afraid of making a mistake or taking on a big project. I was shocked. Afraid? Be afraid of skydiving. Be afraid of wild boar. Be fearless with knitting." - Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OK. I can readily see how absurd I was being. I think what I was really "afraid" of was not getting it right away and having to rip out and start over. I do not like not understanding something; I want to know how to do something, I don't necessarily want to learn it. (I gave up learning to drive standard because it didn't feel natural the first few times out.) But, really, what would be the big deal about ripping out a few stitches?

I've cast-on the blasted thing 3 times. Once, I even got as far as doing four rows before I saw that the stitch pattern was not lining up the way it should and there was no way to fix it other than abandoning the whole thing. Before there are a few rows, the thing is a bit unweildy and it feels a bit like wrestling with a porcupine. And it's hard to ignore the fact that socks come in pairs, so I'll have to do it all over again.

Now I am feeling more determination than fear, though. Three times! This is the last one. I will not be beaten by string. By the end of the weekend, I will have an inch done of the top of that blasted sock done. But I won't be driving standard anytime soon.




3 comments:

myo said...

I don't know what you mean by "driving standard" ... *changes gears* ... unless you mean driving a manual car?

Another thought. I'm wondering if you should change the labels on your "now playing" meter thingies. Move the word "perpetual" from the shawl to the stripey socks.

The one thing i could never seem to remember with knitting was how to cast on.
My mother taught me how to knit as a child, and i remember knitting things like bedsocks and dolls clothes.
Then i never touched another knitting needle until i was ... not sure ... in my 30s i guess, when i suddenly decided to start knitting myself jumpers and cardigans. Nothing particularly difficult. Mainly plain knitting. Some cables, some changes of colours in patterns. I picked it all up again relatively easily. But the one silly little thing i just could not seem to remember how to do was casting on. I had to sit with a step-by-step beginners guide to casting-on in front of me every single time.

I suppose it doesn't matter now, as i've once again forgotten all the other steps in how to knit.

Perhaps i'll take it up again when i retire.

keppet said...

You never answered me... toe-socks?

Emano said...

I am not good enough yet for toe socks. Think of them as the Holy Grail. Someday...

I made was taught to knit in college and "made a hat." The quotes are because I wasn't taught to cast-on, or do the last few rows to finish. It's hard to move on to a second project when you can't start it on your own.

Yes, driving standard means driving a manual car.