Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Monday, January 29, 2007

Moving in.. sort of

We are a long way from actually moving. We have lived here for twelve years and accumulated a lot of belongings that we don't necessarily wish to pack and move. One is amazed at one finds while packing... but that is a blog post for another day.

Despite having the Herculean task of weeding out our things (and deciding if we should actually rent a dumpster), figuring out how best to sell big items that are not moving with us, and actually packing, we are still rather excited to have our own house. The two eldest are excited that they are being allowed to decorate the downstairs bathroom. Keeping in mind that they can't go overboard because the bathroom is on the first floor and will therefore be a "public" bathroom, they have chosen a fish theme.

I took the kids to the store and bought fishy things: shower curtain, blue curtain rod, liquid soap dispenser, bath mat. The trouble started when we got to the house and I couldn't get the door open. I saw two locks and thought maybe one was a deadbolt that I didn't have the key to, but after I tried both doors, Liz took a turn and gave the door a much harder shove than I had. Voila! The door is open.

Seconds after we are inside, the boy tells me he needs to go to the bathroom. The pipes are winterized, which basically means the pipes are empty and there is no water in the house. Generally not ideal conditions under which to use a bathroom. I look out the back window to see how far away the neighbors are and suggest he go to the back. Minutes later, problem number two is solved.

"Winterized" also means there is no heat. The shower curtain rod is metal, and my gloveless hands are freezing rather quickly. While I am trying to wrestle with the plastic overwrap, Curly Girl announces that she also needs a bathroom. Suspecting that she wants the excitement of peeing outside, I am not worried and tell her that there is no potty here. "Yes, there is! Come look!" she yells and runs to the bathroom. I must concede that there is indeed a toilet, but explain that she can't use it. Then she asks if she can go outside like her brother (see, I knew it!), and I tell her it is too cold for a girl to go outside for that. Liz distracts her with hanging Pirates of the Caribbean posters, but nothing distracts me from the cold. After the shower curtain is up, we are off like a dirty shirt. I didn't even stay long enough to photograph the shower curtain.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I know what you mean about acumulated stuff, the last two house I lived in we were there for eleven years each, and given the last move was three years ago I remember all too well what it was like...

Skywolf said...

A fish theme? They have excellent taste.