skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Sunday, Sunday
It is 10:20 a.m. and we have 8 inches of snow-- and it's supposed to snow at least until 7 tonight and maybe later. There were 9 people in church this morning, and 5 of them were my family. (When you can walk to church and you're married to [or the child of] the pastor you have no excuse for staying home.)
Too hot for sunbathing in some places in the world. How uncomfortable. I'm sure it would be much too warm for hot chocolate, then. And no sledding, either. How sad.
In other news, I am about to conquer socks on double-pointed needles. Here is my proof:
7 comments:
A slightly technical question from an ignorant male...
Is it all one piece of knitting, I'm referring to the heel of course, because it's obviously a different shape to the rest of the sock, and may need some special attention?
Yours truly,
Confused. ;)
Dear Confused,
Yes, indeed, the heel needs special attention. As you can see, the stitches are on 3 needles. When making the heel, only the stitches on one needle are worked which creates a flap. This is called, surprisingly enough, "the heel flap."
After the heel flap is done, stitches are "picked up," which has nothing to do with singles bars, but instead means that they are added to the side of the flap so that the new stitches knitted then come out of the side moving toward the toes.
Do you now know more than you ever wanted to know about knitting socks?
Yours truly,
Mater
Lovely socks a bit impractical in the snow though, unless you are punishing your toes for misbehaving.
Did you put the pic up to tantalize newboy?
at first glance, it looked like the foot was impaled on the needles
Ooh, that will be a fab pair of socks. Love the colours.
And I am, as always, insanely jealous of your fantastic weather. *sigh* Upon hearing about it on the radio this morning, my Massachusetts friends and family were instantly in my envious thoughts. Maybe you could post me some snow?
Me too, please. Anything to make the grey clouds a bit more exciting.
And oooh those socks are gorgeous.
Your blog always makes me nostalgic...I learned to knit (veeery basic stuff) as a kid. Because my mum did while watching tv so I insisted I learn. I decided I didn't like smooth knitting, though, so didn't bother with this knit-purl nonsense and knitted large squares of whatever wool my mother had decided she hated. Then used them as doll blankets, I think. Or sometimes cat blankets. Or sometimes cat restraining straps...
Oooh look-
East coast snow
Post a Comment