When I am packing, I often get a weird, disoriented feeling. I walk into a room with intention of doing something to do with packing, but am distracted before I can accomplish (or in some cases, remember) it because I think of something that needs to be packed in another room.
I walk into the bathroom to pack the motion sickness pills, but before I get them I realize that I need to put the batteries in the recharger, then that makes me remember that I need to gather the various parts and wires for the DVD player, which for some reason makes me remember that I am wearing a sleeveless dress and had better pack a razor....
At some point I write a list. I am better after that because I can walk around clutching it and it grounds me. The fuzziness is gone. If I think of something do be done in another room, I just write it down instead of going to do it immediately. When the fuzziness returns (and it always does, if just for a little while), I look down at the first incomplete thing on the list and I am back on track. Although I can't completely relax until we are actually driving away.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Lists are a godsend.
Rian can do nothing without one.
In fact, Rian is consulting said list right now.
"Hit Login and Publish..."
Heh.
I was reading the first 2 paragraphs getting all prepared to post a comment that emano needed to use a list.
Then i read the third paragraph.
And now i have nothing to say.
Oh, me too. I am a total list addict. Before going away, I must make a list of everything that needs to be done in the house before we go (including packing). And then I make another list about what to pack. I cannot completely relax until everything has been crossed off both lists, but once it has, all is well.
I head off to the kitchen to get my list and am distracted by an empty water bowl for cats, pick it up, go to sink, realize I need to wash out my coffee cup... in fact sink needs to be scrubbed.... where's the Ajax... oh, in the bathroom... uh oh, the toilet paper roll is almost empty... go to linen closet for roll, where are all the towels? Ah, I need to take them out of the dryer....
Post a Comment