Today though, I needed #4s-- a size I rarely use and so the only place to look was Grandma's needles. The first pair I grabbed with 4s on them seemed too big, but there was another pair which seemed right. Thus began the investigation.
A needle gauge, for the uninitiated, has numbered holes which correspond to needle sizes. Poke a needle through the holes until you find one that the needle fits snugly but smoothly, read the number next to it, and that's the needle size. For example:

The needle says 4, and the hole it fits is also numbered 4. Good job, Mr. Needlemaker!Below is the photo of the one I thought felt too big. It was not off by a just few millimeters, as you can see here:

Size 10? That means it's 6 mm instead of 3.5.Oh, well. They're still pretty.



2 comments:
I think your second needle that measured a US10 is actually a UK/Canadian 4. Yet another numbering system to confuse matters.
I have inherited US, UK and metric needles- I love my needle gauge.
UK/Canadian needles-- that makes a lot more sense than a radically mislabeled needle.
Post a Comment