Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Underdog


I have noticed an odd tendency in myself to avoid the "big guy." I'm not 100% consistent in this, but the feeling is there, sometimes illogically. For example, I use Windows but refuse to use Internet Explorer because of how big Microsoft is. I like Firefox better, but I don't know if I objectively like it for the features or because it's not Microsoft. Even though I had a PC, I would inwardly cheer every time I heard of someone buying a Mac.

However, my hopes for Apple's success don't extend to portable media. A big part of me doesn't want to get an iPod just because "everyone" has one; I will stick with just a mp3 player made by anyone but Apple, thank you.

I have been dreaming about buying a DSLR, and have noticed this bizarre pull awakened in me again. Why even consider a Nikon or Canon? Doesn't Pentax make good cameras? Never mind that my point and shoot is a Canon.

No comments: