Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Some things my kids have taught me so far

1. Knowing you are right is enough; you don't need to prove it. When the youngest tells me that she did pick up her comforter but it jumped off the bed, or that the pink marker slipped to make that line under her eye-- and then slipped again to make a symmetrical one under the other eye-- there is nothing to be gained by calling her on it. It is better to just say, "Oh, really," as I hand her a washcloth to clean her face.

2. Don't offer help unless it's asked for. You'd think I'd know this one already, since I hate unsolicited help when all I really need is 5 minutes to figure it out.

3. Don't always offer help when it is asked for. Sometimes my oldest will ask me for homework help on something I know she can do, or on something she has to do herself (like write an essay on a time when she felt brave-- how can I answer "tell me a time when I was brave"?) It's amazing how quickly it gets done when I leave the room.

No comments: