Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Horses and Cherry Trees

Apparently, the song Black Horse & The Cherry Tree has nothing to do with tying a cherry stem in a knot with only your tongue. I'm not really sure what it is about, though-- can someone clue me in? I guess I'm not poetical-minded.

I'm leaving out the "woo hoos" from the lyrics. The very beginning makes sense, and I think I can get the end, but the rest...?

Well my heart knows me better than I know myself
So I'm gonna let it do all the talking.
I came across a place in the middle of nowhere
With a big black horse and a cherry tree.

I fell in fear, upon my back
I said don't look back, just keep on walking.
When the big black horse said, "LOOK THIS WAY"
He said, "Hey little lady, will you marry me?"

But I said no, no, no,no-no-no
I said no, no, you're not the one for me
No, no, no,no-no-no
I said no, no, you're not the one for me

And my heart had a problem, in the early hours,
So I stopped it dead for a beat or two.
But I cut some cord, and I shouldn't have done that,
And it won't forgive me after all these years

So I sent it to a place in the middle of nowhere
With a big black horse and a cherry tree.
Now it won't come back , cause it's oh so happy
And now I've got a hole for the world to see

My daughter likes the way I sing this. In truth, she said it in a more adolescent way: "You know, Mom, you actually sound good singing this song."

7 comments:

Ata said...

I think it's about regret. About making a choice out of fear and then wishing you could change it.

Jess said...

Jess agrees with ata.

skittledog said...

Hmm, I think it's the opposite - that you purposely don't make a choice because you're scared to and then you are forever slightly less than you could have been because of it.

Or maybe that's what ata meant anyway...I'm tired.

But I love lyrics where you can just keep finding new meanings...

Ata said...

I think we are thinking along the same thoughtlines. Choosing not to choose something is still making a choice. I think.

biped said...

This is the very reason why I don't read poetry. They should either sing 'I tied a know in the cherry stem with my very own tongue whilst talking to a horse' or 'I made the wrong choice and consequently became unbalanced, as proven by my desire to shack up with a horse'. Clear, unambiguous statements

Skywolf said...

I have no idea what that song is about. I've never even thought about it before... and I'm too tired to now. But I like it. Good song.

Emano said...

I'm with Biped, even though this is getting so far down the page that she may never know I said so. I didn't do well in my poetry writing class in college because I couldn't get myself to be all mysterious about what things meant; I just wanted to say things straight out.