Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Monday, October 31, 2005

Random Notes from Halloween

~Our town decreed that Trick or Treating would not be on Halloween, but would instead be on Sunday night from 4-6. All the surrounding towns were doing it Monday from 6-8. This meant that we had teens from other towns at our door so they could go out twice and parents of young kids bringing their kids in so they could be out in daylight. Our street is one of the 3 residential streets in the "center of town" (such as it is) because the town is spread out so much that to go door to door in their own neighborhoods would mean going to about 4 houses before having to drive somewhere else. These factors led to 290 trick or treaters at our door.
~ A trick or treater's voice should not be deeper than the adult male giving him candy.
~ Too many teenage girls looked like they would be working a street corner after trick or treating.
~ After the first house she went to, Aurora ran back to the sidewalk with a "Hah!"-- as in "Hah! I can't believe it worked! They're just giving me candy!"
~ Up until 3:50, I thought Liz was done going out-- too old, too cool, too whatever. When I asked the others about costumes, she said, "Do I have to go?" When we were actually buying costumes, I asked her again if she wanted to go and she told me no. When the other 2 were putting on costumes, she asked if she could please come with us-- just to chaperone Aurora. Coincidentally, with a bag to gather candy. She was a soccer player because we had the equipment and I hate it when kids come to the door with the costume of "Lazy Teenager Who Didn't Want To Bother With a Costume But Wants To Beg For Candy Anyway."
~People kept commenting on the pumpkins on the porch. I think I want to do twice as many next year. I'm not quite as obsessed as the woman at
www.pumpkinlady.com who carves 150-200 from Sept.15-Oct. 31, but when they are all lit up I can see the attraction.

3 comments:

Jess said...

290 trick or treaters... That's insane! I thought getting 100 would equal a bloody good effort. :/

Skywolf said...

Hee. We had five. Which, rather pleasantly, left me with nearly two-thirds of a packet of Penguins all to myself.

Sounds manic, M&O. Did you run out of goodies?

Emano said...

We ran out and Mr. Midnight went out to get more. I would have just turned off the light, but he was kind of into seeing if we would set a record (we did). He was disappointed that if he hadn't missed some while he was at the store we probably would have gotten over 300.