Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Monday, December 31, 2007

Psych test spoiler

This semester my husband was taking a class on psychological assessment. For this class, he gave me many a test that he needed to practice. One of these was the House, Tree, Person test. In case you ever plan on taking this test and don't want to be unduly influenced by prior knowledge, go draw a house, a tree, and a person-- the best ones you can. Go on, I'll wait.

To be assessed, the examiner asks many questions about your pictures-- "Is it a living tree?" "Where would your bedroom be in this house?" Some of the questions are pretty obvious in what they are driving at: "Is this person happy?" Some are just weird: "Is the tree male or female, and how can you tell?" (I drew a living, female tree, for the record.)

Some of the results are odd-- apparently I am an exhibitionist because I drew earrings on the person-- and I chalk that up the test's Freudian background. Some of the conclusions were right on, however. I drew window in the attic of my house and later chose that window as the answer to where my bedroom was-- "because it is away from everyone else"-- which shows that I am under stress and withdrawing. I only drew my person from the waist up, and drawing a person with no legs indicates that I feel "trapped"-- a word I have used to describe my feelings about work for a few years now.

Now I just need him to take the class that can tell me what to do about it.

2 comments:

keppet said...

I thought about drawing an attic window and making that my bedroom but then decided that I couldn't actually draw it so the window was on the other side of the house. But yes, bedroom has to be in the attic. I go for the nice sloping ceilings personally.

But maybe, just maybe, that is because my room is in the eaves at Home? And maybe your people have earrings because you have earrings? And maybe none of this means anything at all except that people are predictable. I recall Derren Brown shows where, on knowing someone for all of a minute, he could predict what they would draw.

Surely the best indication that you feel trapped is the way you say it out loud.

Jess said...

Hah. I drew an attic window as well, But I think that was only because my bedroom *is* in the attic, and I love it.

And my tree looks like a big ball of lint.