Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Friday, October 13, 2006

Finish up!

My mind works in a very linear way. So, I have in my head that before I can blog anything else, I need to write about the Hobbling day in Boston. But, before I do that, I have to finish anything I was going to say about Rian/Helorime/Someone Else visiting on that now long-ago-Sunday. More and more things are happening in the interim to prevent me, but I'm going to give it a go before too much more time goes by.

After giving the travelers pluots to refresh them after their journey, I led them to the dining room hoping to distract them until my husband arrived home to cook lunch. My original plan was to cook lunch myself, but the panic changed my plans. Then my dear husband arrived home and told our guests that I was so excited about their coming that I, the non-cook, was going prepare the meal. The change of plans changed back-- except that Mr. Midnight was pressed into service so that he could cut the chicken. I was excited to have my Hobbling visitors, but not excited enough to touch raw meat.

I noticed as he was chopping that the first step was "marinate the chicken-- tastes best if marinated for 24 hours." Hmm. Unless there was an unexpected overnight stay, this wasn't going to happen. Dr. H the G told me how to speed up a marinade (add something like vinegar to make it more acidic) and the day was saved.

The afternoon was spent around my beautiful wood table, with the tablecloth removed for the occasion, talking and alternately entertaining and being entertained by younglings. Aurora did have something of a meltdown and need to be removed to her room to remove some of the excitement of having visitors. Rian, despite having fashion model looks, did a fine job of avoiding cameras for the afternoon. When the crew needed to leave to begin their long trek back to NYC, I felt that the time had been much too short and gone by much too quickly.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Liz wants to go to Washington.

12 comments:

La Tulipe said...

Have we asked candycanegirl whether she means Washington, the State, or Washington, as an Endangered Page?

Mater did not say that the dinner was very very good and that Mater and Mr. Midnight and the enclave were all very very good company.

keppet said...

She does not need to. We take it as read.

Ata said...

{throws tantrum} Now I wanna visit the Midnights.

Skywolf said...

*stamps feet*

Me too.

*pout*

Emano said...

Come on over. The leaves are lovely this year. And I also forgot to mention that Mr. Midnight said that he had such a good time he would like to host more Hobblings.

She means Washington state, Home of apples, mountains, and Rian. But she is afraid to see Aidan and Aurora together-- as we all should be.

La Tulipe said...

Surely the Universe...or at least the Center of...would Implode.

myo said...

"... Aidan and Aurora together"

that would be a real mini meet

La Tulipe said...

Mini Me Meet.

Say that three times fast. Rian dares ye.

Ata said...

I said it. {proudly} I can say Peggy Babcock at LEAST three times before becoming bogged.

H said...

Lunch was wonderful indeed, and the whole Midnight family fun and interesting. I am very glad we tookthe day to come up. I do not, however, recomend trying to cross the Whitestone Bridge onto Long Island on a sunday night after a major Jewish (or any) Holiday.

Our leaves are being torn away by wind as they turn. Would have been a fantastic year for colors if not for the weather.

skittledog said...

Paging!

Sorry. There's a random and totally unconnected thought that wandered through my head while sat at Heathrow with biped that I totally forgot to tell anyone about and had almost forgotten it myself. Except now I've remembered. And it wasn't actually interesting enough to tell anyone else.

Umm...

I wish we could have all come out and visited you. But it was so much easier to make you visit us...

myo said...

The weeks flow past, and still no update to your blog!

Perhaps you shouldn't aim to "finish up".
Please feel free just to "move on"