First you must know this: I don't go many places without my mp3 player. I listen to it on my commute, while walking the dog, and often while falling asleep.
Waaay back in April, I was stripping wallpaper. I was carrying a bucket of water when my mp3 player slipped out of my pocket and into the bucket. I pulled it out quickly, but it didn't look good. I could already see condensation behind the window. I was crushed-- ok, not quite that extreme, but I was feeling very busted. I only let myself buy the thing because I had saved up actual cash for it, and I wasn't looking forward to 2-3 months without it so I could save up for another. In desperation, I kept trying it to see if it would work again-- and was rewarded for my persistence a few days later when it started working again.
Two days ago, the player started turning itself on and off at random times. When it was quiet, I would hear the buzz of a distant radio-- which actually turned out to be voices on my supposedly powered-down player. Or I would try to turn it on, and it would turn itself off after 3 seconds. Again, I was certain this was the end, but I decided to try the company website. Two solutions were suggested: 1
1) Give it some downtime and see if it takes care of itself.
2) Download the latest firmware. (Am I the only one who think that sounds sexual?)
Since Option 1 had an air of idiocy about it, I elected to attempt Option 2. Besides, I'd been doing Option 1 for two days already with no success. The file downloaded without a hitch, but the results were less than stellar: when I turned on the device, it turned itself off immediately.
Disgusted, I tossed it aside until this morning when I gave it one last chance.
Option 1 worked with Option 2. A night off after a fresh firmware installation, and it works again.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Maybe you should start saving now for a replacement, so that if anything else happens to it you won't have to be music-less.
I have, and I have even starting shopping around. I found out that I can get a better one for less than I paid for this one. I love technological progress.
Ha. I sometimes freak myself out by thinking about what would happen if my iPod died. I bought it back when I was working fulltime, and these days there's just no way I could afford to buy one. No way. Not even a cheaper smaller one.
Your player sounds pretty tough though if it survived being dropped in water. The best idea when that sort of thing happens is to leave it switched off and let it dry out thoroughly (preferably somewhere sunny) for about a week. Has worked for me in the past with phones (my brother had an unfortunate habit of tossing his pants in the clothes basket without checking the pockets).
Little electtronic things often need to completely dry out before they work right again (if they ever do). In my experience, that works about 75% of the time. It is important not to turn them on much UNTIL they have completely dried out though. Shorts!
Post a Comment