Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rollercoaster

1. "I hate this job, but am trapped."
2. "It's not so bad. I can deal."
3. "I hate this job."
4. -- sees Special Ed opening at another school in the district and calls SpEd director who says many pretty words
5. -- calls SpEd director for follow up and hears not-so-pretty words, like "We are offering the position to someone who interviewed today"
6. "I hate this job."


He also told me that someone at that school is retiring next year, and implied... what? I don't know-- that I could transfer? That I could try for that job and have a good shot? I don't think I can do it for another year, given a choice. But there's the rub-- I don't know what kind of choice I have. My jobs since I graduated have been with kids on the more severe end of the Special Needs spectrum and with older kids. The job I wanted when I started school was with younger kids with milder needs. Now that I have 14 years of experience in the opposite direction, I am not very marketable-- not to mention that that many years makes me expensive to hire. Staying in district would have taken care of those problems, plus the uncertainty that comes with not having tenured status anymore if I leave.

I just don't know. The job has good hours, good vacation time, and good pay. I can be home when my kids are, both at the end of the day and on their vacations, and my salary is the one that is paying the mortgage. But I don't even want to go back for the next 3 weeks until the end of the year, and it's even worse when I think of the changes that next school year will bring.

No comments: