They say that you can tell what is most important to you by the way you spend your time. You can say something is important to you, and you may even believe it, but if you don't spend any time devoted to it, then how important is it really?
I am wondering if I am spending my time on things that I consider most important, or if I spend my time on things I have just gotten into the habit of doing. But if I consider giving up or spending less time with something I think may be merely a habit and then feel resistant about it, does that mean it is more important than I thought? Or just that habits are hard to break?
For argument's sake, let's say I tend to check on several websites throughout the day-- not that anyone reading this blog could identify with such a thing. What does that say about how important sitting at the computer is? Really now, how much is going to change after a few hours? And even if a lot changes, will it affect my life to miss some of those changes as they happen? Conversely, what if I say that being healthy is important to me but my only exercise consists of resentfully walking my dog once a day? (Resentfully lately, anyway-- it's been very cold.) Why am I not lifting weights instead of checking my email?
Introspection leads to change. I am generally not comfortable with change, so I'm not sure where I am going with this. If anywhere.
Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
You think all this introspection has something to do with your Haiti trip?
Your Haiti posts are great -- we've been planning a trip that keeps getting put off -- storms, riots, kidnappings, etc. I was so glad to see that you made it back safely. And introspectively (if that's a word).
I think it has a lot to do with the trip. I hope you are able to make that trip that is getting put off. One of these days, and the time will be right.
I have to get back to writing about the rest of that trip soon.
Post a Comment