Synomyms: amalgam, blend, composite, grab bag, hodgepodge, medley, miscellany, variety (Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus)

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Status report

I have been more than a little stressed as I am getting ready to move in 2 weeks. As I look around the house, packing seems to have barely begun. Despite this, it is difficult to move around the new house without running into a maze of boxes. I was telling people Friday that I needed to sand the walls to be painted, wash them, tape them, and then paint. I wasn't even taking into account buying the paint and other miscellaneous materials we'd forgotten, an excursion that took three hours. Well, we ate lunch during that time, but still... we were out and not sitting at home eating bon-bons as I would have preferred.

Once we started, though, things flew. Sanding the walls went swimmingly well with my new power sander, washing went quicker than a greased pig, and I decided only to tape the horizontal surfaces and be very careful with a paint edger. We painted the ceiling and a coat of primer on the walls before coming home because watching paint dry is a quaint expression but not much fun in real life.

I still have a ton of packing to do, but tomorrow afternoon the walls will be done and most of the trim. I say "most" because painting the wood in the window panes scares me and I'm not sure how it will go. Regardless, I am still relaxed enough now to write a blog post and go play with editing pictures.

6 comments:

Andy said...

Moving house is always a stressful time, hope it goes relatively smoothly for you.

H said...

You do know that on window panes you just take off extra paint with a razor blade when it has dried? I only tape around where the sills meet the walls (I usually use a different paint for the sills. I use small brush, and then when dry, the razor blade. Much faster and cleaner than trying to tape glass.

Skywolf said...

*nods*

Heather speaks wisely.

Emano said...

You speak true? Paint will easily scrape off?

daisy said...

Yep, getting paint of glass is easy as.

Archie Furrows said...

Aren't you supposed to paint the new house, not the old house?

And I'll also back up the paint-from-glass tip.

Good luck with the packing!